Exhibitions

Exposition

A special exhibit:
 
The Rococo door was probably installed in the late 18th century, when, after the death of Johann Gottlob Groschke, surgeon to the duke and the first pharmacist in Tukums, the building was inherited by his son, Johann Gottlieb Groschke.  He was a professor at Academia Petrina in Jelgava and arranged for the building to be renovated.  It was perhaps then that the walls of the largest room in the house were covered with English wallpaper that featured an ornate figural composition.  Many other 18th century elements remain in the building – the entrance with a foyer and outer door, Baroque door jambs, lead window handles, and fragments of paints and wallpapers from various periods.
 
 
Artists in Tukums
 
Art life has been active in Tukums for more than a century.  Many distinguished artists are related to the town, including the painter Jānis Lībergs, the graphic artist Ernests Zīverts, and the artist and theorist Voldemārs Matvejs.  Artists such as Ansis Artums, Leonīds Āriņš and Kārlis Neilis spent many decades working in Tukums.  The author Anšlavs Eglītis wrote that “the idol for the artists in Tukums is colour which they can raise to a burning level of intensity.”
Regular exhibitions of art have been organised in Tukums since 1933, and over the course of time, they have featured artworks by masters such as Augusts Annuss, Ģederts Eliass, Jānis Tidemanis, Voldemārs Tone, and others.
The Tukums Group of Artists was established in 1983.  It was chaired by Uldis Zemzaris and inspired by Taira Haļapina, who brought together as many as 80 artists from the worlds of art and the applied arts.  Among them were Ansis Artums, Leonīds Āriņš, Aleksandrs Zviedris, Dzidra Bauma, Raimonds Ginters, Emīls Braunbergs, Alberts and Ilze Pauliņš, and others.
There are two public organisations for artists at this time.  The Tukums Group of Artists (2011) is run by Ingemāra Treija, while the Tukums Studio for the Fine Arts is managed by Inga Brīniņa.